Re: Declarative vs. procedural

From: Glen Shires <gshires@google.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:39:18 -0700
To: Charles Hemphill <charles@everspeech.com>
Cc: Fergus Henderson <fergus@google.com>, public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
I see this as a continuum. Some "HTML developers" know just enough to create
a simple static web page, others know how to get fancy with elements like
tables or frames, and only a few really know how to use everything that's in
HTML5 or CSS.

However, at any level, most developers know how to copy and paste an example
snippet to make their pages look better.  For example, given the following
snippet, most "HTML developers" could copy and paste it to add a background
image to their page.  They don't have to "know" CSS to be able to do this.

body {background-image:url('myimage.gif');}

In the same way, most HTML developers can use the following snippet to
automatically submit the form after the user clicks the checkbox.  They
don't have to "know" Javascript to be able to do this.

<input type="checkbox" name="nonstopflight" onClick="this.form.submit()">

This is my goal with the <reco> tag.  To keep simple things simple.