Re: Declarative vs. procedural

From: Fergus Henderson <fergus@google.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:56:06 +1100
To: Charles Hemphill <charles@everspeech.com>
Cc: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Charles Hemphill <charles@everspeech.com>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I mentioned some numbers from an article that I noticed last week:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html.  The top
> 2
> programming languages are known by about 17% of the programmers (each).

That is *not* what the 17% number on the web page that you cite means.

The Tiobe index<http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm>doesn't
track what proportion of programmers know each language.
It essentially just tracks the number of web search hits for "<foo>
programming" for each language <foo>,
and normalizes this so that the top 50 languages account for 100%.
That's a completely different measure.

Many programmers -- and *all* the good ones -- know more than one
programming language.

> JavaScript is known by about 2% of programmers.  This might be surprising

Or it might be just plain wrong.

--
Fergus Henderson <fergus@google.com>

"Defend the user, exclude no one, and create magic." -- Eric Schmidt.