RE: Declarative vs. procedural

I tend to agree. For anything more complicated than <input type="text" speech="true"> (or whatever equivalently trivial markup), the developer is going to have to start making UI logic decisions  for which javascript will be more appropriate.

From: Satish S [mailto:satish@google.com]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 2:05 PM
To: Charles Hemphill
Cc: Robert Brown; public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
Subject: Re: Declarative vs. procedural

There are plenty of Javascript APIs that were added to HTML in the recent years (under the banner of HTML5, for a sample please see http://slides.html5rocks.com<http://slides.html5rocks.com/>) and there is no shortage of developers adopting these. These range from very simple (e.g. localStorage) to the moderately complex (e.g. canvas).

On a related note, the only use case I see for purely declarative markup is dictating into an editable field (which doesn't really need an API and can be done with a browser voice IME). To do anything more than that and to process results the developer needs to use our Javascript API. So I think it should be a non-goal for our group to produce a purely declarative model for speech recognition.

Cheers
Satish