Re: R19. End user extensions should be available both on desktop and in cloud

On 12/8/2010 4:24 PM, Robert Brown wrote:
> I think that's right. It originally came from Eric's post in September:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-htmlspeech/2010Sep/0015.html
>
> In that context, it seems to be about a specific style of application that could be built with the API, rather than the API itself.  So I agree it's out of scope.

It wasn't intended to be a specific style of application. It was a poorly worded
attempt to convey a fundamental concept in speech enabled environments.  Any
(web) application is going to be a complete disaster for speech users ( google
apps [1]).  in order to make an application speech usable, it will be necessary
to create a whole new user interface layer around the application in order to
drive it.  If the application is designed to be used with speech he won't be as
much of a disaster but you'll still need the basic grammars and actions to drive
it.

If you assume that all applications will come with a speech user interface
complete and usable from day one, then you're right, r19 is out of scope. If you
want to require that any application user interface can be modified or extended
based on the user's needs then we need something like r19.

I would suggest a little more discussion on r19 because end-user customizations
for user interfaces is one of the major differences between visual user
interfaces and aural ones.  I'd like to make sure what I'm seeing as important
is the same thing as the rest of you.

--- eric

[1] Not intending to pick on Google apps it's just that they are very common and
almost completely unusable if you use speech recognition. I can't even use
Google mail with speech. It's part nuance, part browser.