Re: Framework Report (28 Apr 09)

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:58 PM,  <paola.dimaio@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do these definitions cover the gap between
>> - systems
>> and
>> - interop standards
>> - to match a needed use-case?
>

> i am not sure if they do :-) lets work it out
> we may have to develop the paragraphs accordingly and fill any bits that are
> not yet covered in the section

I think it is important to cover these, at least in the context of the
W3C charter, which generally is focused on driving interop standards.

>> If by systems you mean systems in use, then I would say that falls under
>> the pragmatic bracket

We need that pragmatic bracket! :-)

> in the note, we define three dimensions (at least, in fact  4) for
> addressing an interoperability gap (the (syntactic, semantic, pragmatic and
> conceptual)
>
> then we project these dimensions across different fields of interop,
> communication, medical, etc etc
>
> so I would say that matrix should help us define the 'interoperability gap'
> which is a broad description of possibly everything that does not
> interoperate, down to a few specific factors.
> I would say that any use case can be broken down
>
> give me one  or two example of interop gap that you are referring to, and I
> ll try to map the case with the proposed method of analysis, in fact we can
> map all of them if you want

Let me put a disclaimer first on not being an expert on ontology mapping.

OK take CAP for example. If we were looking at an alerting use-case
the first would be to define the ontology for emergency alerting. Next
would be to identify existing standards (or interop formats) that can
cover that scope, like CAP + other interop standards in alerting.

1) The first gap would be that between our ontology and the standards.

2) Next you would document alerting systems that support the format
(e.g. Sahana does) and the gap would be to those alerting systems that
do not support any alerting interop standard. A more subtle gap would
be the actual tested level of support of that standard.

Chamindra