Re: ACTION-405: Clarify material on crossing the content-chrome boundary

So, the original wording:

> Web user agents MAY use display elements that cross the chrome-
> content boundary in a conspicuous manner to signal a differentiation
> between such UI elements and Web content.

is not something I remember writing, so I imagine it has been munged
around a couple times since my bullet point of long ago (or possibly I
wrote it in a Fugue State?)  Anyhow, thinking more about it, I think
the intent of the line was just to highlight a useful technique for
user agents to consider, not anything normative (which would require a
stricter definition, for conformance).

In that light then, I'm not sure what to change about the text in
7.1.1 itself, but I might suggest that all of section 7.1 be marked as
being about techniques and generally good ideas.  I guess 7.1.4 is
really normative, and 7.1.3 is wishy-washy ("Always keep it visible.
Except for background page loads and $stuff.")

I think I'm proposing that 7.1.4 be broken out into it's own 7.2
(renumbering other parts accordingly) and that 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.1.3
be marked as non-normative techniques, maybe?

Cheers,

Johnathan

On 20-Mar-08, at 3:39 PM, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> Hi Johnathan,
>
> per ACTION-405, I'm to ask you about section 7.1.1 of the current
> editor's draft, which goes back to a proposal that you had made
> early on about using crossing of the chrome-content boundary as a
> conspicuous form of non-content communication.
>
> On the call yesterday, people seemed to be confused as to how this
> is supposed to work.
>
> The current text is here:
>  http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/drafts/rec/rewrite.html#chromecontent-boundary-goodpractice
>
> Thanks,