Re: ACTION-405: Clarify material on crossing the content-chrome boundary

On 2008-03-20 16:00:44 -0400, Johnathan Nightingale wrote:

> is not something I remember writing, so I imagine it has been
> munged around a couple times since my bullet point of long ago
> (or possibly I wrote it in a Fugue State?) Anyhow, thinking more
> about it, I think the intent of the line was just to highlight a
> useful technique for user agents to consider, not anything
> normative (which would require a stricter definition, for
> conformance).

Since most of the group doesn't seem to be able to make sense of it
(based on the minutes from 19 March [1]), I'd then propose dropping
that section.

> In that light then, I'm not sure what to change about the text in 7.1.1
> itself, but I might suggest that all of section 7.1 be marked as being about
> techniques and generally good ideas.  I guess 7.1.4 is really normative, and
> 7.1.3 is wishy-washy ("Always keep it visible.  Except for background page
> loads and $stuff.")

It's actually not meant to be wishy-washy -- it's meant to be a
requirement to keep the security context of whatever the user is
currently interacting with on screen, except in the usual
full-screen presentation modes.

> I think I'm proposing that 7.1.4 be broken out into it's own 7.2
> (renumbering other parts accordingly) and that 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and
> 7.1.3 be marked as non-normative techniques, maybe?

For the moment, that's what I've done (also based on Stephen's
proposal during the 19 March call).  I still think this entire
section needs more work, but I guess for the next working draft, the
current state is fine.

Web Security Context: Experience, Indicators, and Trust
Editor's Draft 28 March 2008
$Revision: 1.220 $ $Date: 2008/03/28 12:08:05 $

1. http://www.w3.org/2008/03/19-wsc-minutes.html#item06