RE: Favicon anti-pattern

Per MEZ's request, I offer the following additional content regarding favicons.

First, I did find a single paragraph in the current Note (use cases) regarding favicons that I feel needs updating:

 9.2.5 Favicon

 The URL bar may display a logo retrieved from a location specified in the web site's content, or discovered in a well known location [favicon <http://www.w3.org/TR/wsc-usecases/#favicon-howto> ]. In either case, the choice to display a logo, and what image to use, is at the discretion of the visited web site.  In some browsers the favicon logo is also displayed in Bookmarks/Favorites listings and associated toolbar buttons, window titles, tab titles, and elsewhere.  No central organization exists to control or approve these images.

The text I propose we append appears above in red.  (Last 2 sentences for those not viewing this email as HTML or suffer red-blue color blindness).

Second, there is the matter of Recommendations.  I personally believe favicons undermine security context.  Mary Ellen challenged me to document my reasons for this so WSC can possibly document favicons as an anti pattern:

 Whether consciously or unconsciously, many users are beginning to view favicon logos as security context information.  Specifically, they feel that seeing the logo they expected for a particular site is somehow an assurance the site is genuine.  Because the logo appears in browser chrome rather than the HTML page, it creates an impression that the logo is more "official".

 This is a mistake on the users' part because no central organization controls or approves the assignment of favicons to sites.  A malicious entity can steal the exact logo used by a legitimate site (or create a visually indistinguishable logo) and associate it with a different site for impersonation purposes.

 Favicons are not registered with nor regulated by a central authority.  Favicons are not cryptographically protected for authenticity or integrity.

 For these reasons, favicon use on web sites requiring user trust should be considered a security anti-pattern.  Favicons undermine the web security context display in two ways.  First, they appear to provide security context but in reality do not.  Second, they blur the distinction between chrome and content.

 Favicons could be made more secure if they were drawn from a logo registry controlled by a central authority, or perhaps tied to signed DNSSEC records, and browsers were changed to only display approved and cryptographically protected favicons.  The central authority would have to prevent two sites from using visually similar logos.

 Finally, it's worth noting that logographic extensions to X.509, which many sites plan to use in future to visually brand their SSL certificates, suffer from many of the same security problems as favicons.

I welcome feedback.  I have not entered any of this in the wiki because I feel it needs some group discussion first.

Thanks, Mike

  _____