RE: AIN, NOBI and composition

Yes, David, I agree.  Let me put it more starkly.
Chris' proposal is that if the agreed on policy is:

<policy>
    <A/>
    <B/>
</policy>

Then you MUST NOT do assertion X or Y or any other assertions for that matter.

This means that you must know the universe of all possible assertions.
The <encoding> assertion is one you may not think about but unless you specify <encoding> you cannot do it, according to this proposal.

All the best, Ashok