RE: Utility of Ignorable?

Hi

I've always found it difficult to accept a "lie" argument :-), simply
because it does not sound like a technical argument.
The spec says that wspolicy:optional has no semantics, it's just a shortcut,
but the "lie" argument implies that there're semantics associated with the
wspolicy:optional.
At the same time, using optional=true and ignorable=true at the same time
does not make sense, I agree, and as far as I remember this combination was
considered ok by referring to the fact that wspolicy:optional has no
semantics, it's just a shortcut.
IMHO, to make wspolicy:ignorable truly useful (and strict/lax modes which I
like really work) the spec (maybe in v.next) should make it illegal the
"optional=true and ignorable=true" combination, both in compact and normal
forms (that is, if it's ignorable then it's present in all alternatives - so
that strict mode can really work). Otherwise people will keep asking : why
use wsp:ignorable if wspolicy:optional=true works ?.
Also it would help somehow to do some kind of validation which would verify
that ignorable assertions do not involve optional behaviours affecting the
wire. That way only truly ignorable assertions could be marked as ignorable,
and using wspolicy:optional=true would not work...Likewise, if the assertion
is marked as optional then it would help to have some kind of
certification/verification procedure to check that this assertion is indeed
pointing out to the optional behaviour, not the ignorable aspect of the
provider's capabilities

We wanted something like wsp:ignorable to mark assertions which unaware
clients can ignore and aware clients may choose to apply. In our original
proposal we asked for ws:optional true to be stripped of any semantics (no
"lie" argument), as it seemed like the simpliest option; the decision was to
introduce wsp:ignorable.

Thanks, Sergey