Re: Editorial issues

Asir Vedamuthu wrote:

> > Should the first sentence read " ... a policy /alternative/ with zero
> policy assertions"?
>

> Yes, we think so too. We suggest that a CR issue be raised for this
> change.

Does that mean you'll raise it or you would like me to raise it?

> >Conversely, it seems odd that <Policy/> should denote an
>
> >/alternative/ not a policy.  Intuitively, an empty <Policy/> seems
>
> >like it should denote either a policy with no alternatives,
>
> >or perhaps a policy with a single empty alternative.
>

> <Policy/> is a policy with a single empty policy alternative. Why? The
> Policy operator is equivalent to the All operator. A collection of
> assertions in an All operator is equivalent to a policy alternative.
> In this specific case, it is an empty alternative. That is, a policy
> with a single empty policy alternative.

That's not a big surprise, but in that case <Policy/> is /not/
equivalent to <All/>.  One is a policy and the other is an alternative.

> > However, this seems counter-intuitive in the context of intersection,
> and "all of the assertions in both alternatives"
>

> It is neither set union nor set intersection. It literally means all
> of the assertions in both alternatives.

Read literally, the phrase is ambiguous.  It should be recast.

If I have an alternative [A B] and an alternative [B C], then "all of
the assertions in both alternatives" could mean:

    * [A, B, C].  A is in the first alternative.  B is in the first and
      the second.  C is in the second.  That's all of them.
    * [B] B is the only assertion in both alternatives.
    * [A, B, B, C].  A is in the first alternative.  B is in the first
      alternative.  B is in the second alternative.  C is in the second
      alternative.

Since the first is set union, the second is set intersection and you say
that the desired answer is neither, and we know that duplicates are
allowed, I would now guess the third answer is right.  But at this
point, this is just a guess.