Re: Straw-man Proposal for our mission statement

Hi Assaf,

      i disagree with your statement below, simply because our charter
specifically says that we will *not* create bindings to any specific
language. Thus it is out of scope for us to develop bindings for WSDL, etc.

Regards,

D-

Dr. Daniel Austin
Sr. Technical Architect / Architecture Team Lead
daniel_austin@notes.grainger.com <----- Note change!
847 793 5044
Visit http://www.grainger.com

"If I get a little money, I buy books. If there is anything left over, I
buy clothing and food."
-Erasmus

                      "Assaf Arkin"
                      <arkin@intalio.com        To:       "Burdett, David" <david.burdett@commerceone.com>
                      >                         cc:       "'Jean-Jacques Dubray'" <jjd@eigner.com>, Daniel_Austin@grainger.com,
                      Sent by:                   public-ws-chor@w3.org
                      public-ws-chor-req        Subject:  Re: Straw-man Proposal for our mission statement
                      uest@w3.org

                      05/12/2003 06:06
                      PM

My take on this:

In reviewing other specifications in this space including security (the
WS-Security stack, SAML, etc), coordination (WS-TX and BTP), reliable
messaging (WS-RM(1) and WS-RM(2)) and even not yet discussed
specifications such as WS-Policy, WS-Addressing, management specs, etc,
they all seem to be recommend that we write choreographies using WSDL
operations.

These specification will either add additional dimensions by referencing
the same WSDL operation we reference, or by being part of the protocol
binding used by that WSDL operation (in effect also referencing them)
when it comes time to actually exchange messages.

So clearly the way to go is to write a choroegraphy definition by
referencing WSDL operations. Then you get everything else that works
with WSDL for free, including stuff that's available now and specs we
anticipate will be standardized in the near future.

Of course this only works with that list of specifications and relates
specifications that are part of the WS stack. The question then becomes,
are there other specifications we want to support that work in different
ways indicating that we need to keep our options open?

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.