Re: Revised: Mission Statement

At 7:12 PM +0100 7/6/03, Steve Ross-Talbot wrote:
>Can't come up with any concrete issues with this. But I do have a
>question for the community at large.
>
>I'm in the process of doing the requirements document with Daniel,
>Ed and Abbie. On my metaphorical travels I have yet to see a use
>case in support of composition that results in a web service. If a
>choroegraphy is created from some number of web services, then what
>would it's WSDL interface be? Is it some subset of the WSDL
>operation that are advertised by the web services that were directly
>used to construct it? Is it the same as this set of WSDL operations?
>Is it a subset of the operations of all the web services (direct and
>indirect) that were used to construct it?
>
>My own thoughts are that there must be a scoping function that
>renames or hides operations that are offered by a choreography. It
>may be the case that it is a function of the events/messages that
>start a choreography. Any suggestions as to how to clear this up and
>make it fairly tight and yet expressive enough for the job?
>
>Cheers
>
>Steve T

Steve - in the compositions we've been playing with (some of which I
demoed at the first f2f, and anyone outside a firewall can play with
themselves from http://www.mindswap.org/~evren/composer/, we do allow
the creation of new web services by the composition of existing ones
- and these services themselves can be composed with others -- the
WSDL is accomplished by grounding the service calls in WSDL (using
the DAML-S groundings) and the "choreography" we use is the DAML-S
process model.  (I'm hoping the chor langauge we come up with will
replace the latter eventually)
  that said, I agree with you that it probably is not "definitional"
that the composition results in a new "service" per se.  I think I'd
like the idea of using "scope" in there, but don't have specific
words either -- I'll think on this
  -JH

>On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 06:48  pm, Monica J. Martin wrote:

>>  **A service composition is a composition of services that results
>>in a new service. The new service can be the combination of
>>distinct parts to form a whole of the same generic type. The web
>>services could be combined to achieve a specific goal.**

Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***