Feedback on Glossary

Monica,

Feedback on the glossary,

Composition.  [This definition is becomeing much too complicated.  How
composition is addressed in choreography is to be defined by the final
specification.  What we mean
by composition should be quite simple: creation of a unit or product from
components or parts.  There is an implication that the components or parts
may be used to compose a variety of units or products.  To extend this to
choreography, composition is the creation of a choreography from parts that
may be used to create a variety of choreographies.]

Correlation. [I don't know why we need a special definition for this.]

Global model.  A model which expresses the relationships between otherwise
seemingly independent exchanges.  It puts exchanges in broader, business
context.

Orchestration. [this term may have a distinct meaning at some future point,
but for now it should be explicitly undefined in this discourse].

Process.  A process is a group of interrelated actions or activities that
are specified to achieve a defined objective and are complete when that
objective is achieved or abandoned.

Process instance. The execution of a process to achieve its defined
objective in a particular situation.

Role. An abstract designation for a participant in a choreography that is
bound to a particular participant URI when the choreography is performed.
In some choreographies, the same participant may be bound to multiple roles,
or a role may be bound to different participants at different times during
the execution of a choreography.

State.  An attribute value or set of values of attributes of an entity that
represent a condition of interest for that entity.  Typically, a number of
states of an entity are of interest, each will be named, and the events
which may cause transitions between these states will be defined for state
transitions.  The alternative states of an entity will typically be defined
in a particular context (an entity may have many states of interest in
different contexts), and suggests--by reference to state transitions--how
that entity will behave in the associated context.

Service type.  A service that conforms to a WSDL interface and conforms to a
defined choreography in a specified role.

Fred Cummins
EDS