Re: Feedback on Glossary

Cummins, Fred A wrote:

>Monica,
>
>Process.  A process is a group of interrelated actions or activities that
>are specified to achieve a defined objective and are complete when that
>objective is achieved or abandoned.

I picked this interesting definition from, or all places, pi-calculus:

A process is generally nothing more than a set of commitments.

>Process instance. The execution of a process to achieve its defined
>objective in a particular situation.

+1

>Role. An abstract designation for a participant in a choreography that is
>bound to a particular participant URI when the choreography is performed.
>In some choreographies, the same participant may be bound to multiple roles,
>or a role may be bound to different participants at different times during
>the execution of a choreography.

+1

>State.  An attribute value or set of values of attributes of an entity that
>represent a condition of interest for that entity.  Typically, a number of
>states of an entity are of interest, each will be named, and the events
>which may cause transitions between these states will be defined for state
>transitions.  The alternative states of an entity will typically be defined
>in a particular context (an entity may have many states of interest in
>different contexts), and suggests--by reference to state transitions--how
>that entity will behave in the associated context.

+1 with a minor objection.

Some state transitions are better defined as graphs depicting the
possible transitions between a finite set of states. For example from
submitted to approved to pending to shipped. Other state transitions are
not easily modeled as graphs like that. For example, if I have a price
for the order and I need to add shipping & handling based on the
destination and weight, the transition is from some number N to some
other number N. Do I write a graph with all possible state transition s
or are there some transitions not modeled as a graph? Can we identify
more generically these two types of states and transitions?

>Service type.  A service that conforms to a WSDL interface and conforms to a
>defined choreography in a specified role.

WSDL interface defines some of the expected behavior of a service type
and WS-Chor defines other part of that behavior. WSDL can also define an
interface beloning to that type by associating it with the interface.
However, somewhere along the actual concept of service type managed to
escape and I think we need to introduce it in more generic terms than
the particular type of WSDL definition used to capture its behavior.

arkin

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.