Re: An Example Use of RM's MakeConnection

From: David Hull <dmh@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:18:11 -0400
To: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Cc: Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>, "[WS-A] Public List" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

Marc Hadley wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Doug Davis wrote:
>>
>> And what is the GetQuoteResponse message a reply to?
>
> The wsrm:MakeConnection.
>
>> If its a reply to the original request and that request had a replyTo
>> set to anon then per the WSA rules the GetQuoteResponse should have
>> flowed back on the original backchannel but it didn't.
>>
> It sounds like you are still thinking in terms of the application
> level. GetQuoteResponse is an application-level response to GetQuote
> but, as I noted earlier in the thread, WS-Addr doesn't work at the
> application level so there isn't a conflict.
Again, what does this mean?

If I say
<ReplyTo><Address>mailto:Marc.Handley@Sun.com</Address></ReplyTo>, what
kind of response am I asking to have mailed to you?  A "SOAP response"?
An "application-level response"?  An "email response"?  Please cite any
definitions you use.

If the request above is SOAP/HTTP, then (barring error) there will be no
SOAP response at all (that's what "request-optional-response" is for).
So what sort of response is going where?

Finally, in what WSA-visible way is this bread-and-butter scenario
different to the scenario Doug is describing?