Re: A minor question

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:07:03PM -0800, Martin Gudgin wrote:
> A fault is any message for which the following XPath expression
> evaluates to true;
>
> /soap:Envelope/soap:Body/soap:Fault
>
> See[1], specifically;
>
> "To be recognized as carrying SOAP error information, a SOAP message
> MUST contain a single SOAP Fault element information item as the only
> child element information item of the SOAP Body"

Right, but that doesn't mean that all messages carrying SOAP error
information are faults.  Using the example from the posting I
referenced, would you consider the response to a "getLastFault"
request to be "carrying SOAP error information"?  If so, how would
you distinguish that message from the message you'd get back as a
result of "getLastFault" faulting?

Consider also that in the HTTP binding, the only way that the
receiving node is prescribed[1] to enter the fail state is by receiving
a 4xx or 5xx HTTP response code ... which is of course, completely
independent of whether there's a fault in the SOAP envelope or not.

If you want to continue this discussion, I suggest we take it to
www-archive.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part2-20030624/#tabreqstatereqtrans

Mark.