Re: MAPs and SOAP

My conclusion, from trying to define DaveO's request/reply/alternate in
terms of the current framework [1], is that the current extensibility
does /not/ support such a scenario in any meaningful way.  I have
publicly commented on this [2].  Further, despite its broad title, i042
clearly deals with EPR extensibility and not MAP extensibility.  The
original issue i042 has been addressed, and adding an AI to a closed
issue seems confusing at best.

At this point, I would strongly prefer to see the original issue I
raised [3] formally noted on the issues list in its own right.  There
have been three proposed resolutions so far, one in the original email,
one proposed by Marc Hadley [4] and later clarified [5], and a second
proposal of mine [6]. As far as I'm concerned my second proposal (use
qnames and keep the wsa:ReplyTo and wsa:FaultTo headers as they are)
supersedes the original (use IRIs and optionally special-case reply and
fault to appear as they currently are).  The original proposal may be
withdrawn unless anyone really wants to keep it around.

I would also welcome any concrete proposal showing how to handle
interactions outside the request/reply family within the current
framework, that is, using the current MAPs and SOAP Addressing 1.0 module.

Under the status quo, the only editorial changes I could recommend would
be on the order of changing the second paragraph of section 3 to begin

    Message addressing properties provide references for the endpoints
    involved in request/reply interactions and other interactions for
    which a reply endpoint and a fault endpoint suffice.  Endpoints
    required for more complex interactions must be handled outside this
    framework by defining separate abstract properties and where
    appropriate mapping them to SOAP properties in some module other
    than that defined in the WS-Addressing SOAP binding.

striking "and any other interaction pattern" from the last sentence in
the section, and striking any other text suggesting extensibility.  This
would, I believe, accurately reflect the semantics currently defined and
minimize the chance of nasty surprises for anyone expecting more than that.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2005Mar/0140.html
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-addressing/2005Mar/0145.html