RE: get metadata (was RE: WS-Addr issues

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:07:23 -0800
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

Mark,

There's a big difference between GETting the state of a resource (which
may or may not be a metadata resource), GETting the metadata of a
resource (which may or may not be a metadata resource), and GETting the
state of a metadata resource.  There are only 2 solutions to GET
metadata about a resource that you don't know is a metadata resource:
either have 2 different operations (GET state and GETMETADATA state) or
have mechanism to convert an identifier into a metadata URI (URI +=
"?WSDL" ? ).

To a great deal, http-range-14 is TimBL's attempt to make all http:
resources into metadata so as to avoid the 2 verb problem for the
semantic web.

Cheers,
Dave