Re: Distributed Infrastructure (Re: alpha 3 version of IG charter for review)

Hi Carsten

Thank you for following up on the decentralised, peer-to-peer IoT subject.

It's understandable you include decentralised, peer-to-peer approach in a
separate and broader discussion within IRTF. We are facing similar
challenges with regards to the the scope of the project. In order manage
devices via a DHT/blockchain, first our proposed underlying infrastructure
has to address generic issues. These are contact discovery, transport and
storage which are generic functionalities and system components and these
are not exclusive to IoT, but part of all decentralised systems. So I am
sure there is synergy between decentralized WoT and IRTF. Hopefully our
core components will be reusable in different type of use cases. I started
a protocol design document at
https://github.com/w3c/web-of-things-framework/blob/master/documents/p2p/protocol.md
which
hopefully will be a collaborative effort to come up with a protocol and
perhaps IETF standard. Also, I will definitely sign up to your discussion
and trying to contribute.

Please book me a slot in the July 17-22 Berlin event. I will be happy to
present via a video link our decentralized WoT approach and the application
we are developing within the Node.js project at
https://github.com/w3c/web-of-things-framework
<https://github.com/w3c/web-of-things-framework/blob/master/documents/p2p/protocol.md>.
Right now, we have already a decentralized Raspberry Pi implementation and
the solution should be more matured by July.

I hope IRTF and WoT will collaborate. It would be great to see more and
more open source developers work on the WoT project!

Regards,
Tibor