Re: [whatwg] Notifications and service workers

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I agree. One of the big shortcomings of the current spec is that it
>> leaves UI too undefined. This is particularly problematic given that
>> notifications is all about using UI to get certain types of user
>> attention.
>
> I'm willing to try making more specific UI recommendations. Have any in mind?

I think we should define that non-persistent notifications disappear
after a timeout. And define that on mobile platforms with
"notification centers", that these notifications are *not* added
there, but rather is just displayed on screen for a short period of
time.

I also think that we should define that for persistent notifications,
that these *are* added to mobile "notification centers".

I also think that we should define that clicking a non-permanent
should as default action focus the window which created the
notification. We should also define that during the "click" event the
browser is encouraged to allow calls to window.focus() to, work. Even
in UAs which have restrictive policies about when window.focus() is
honored.

Though some care needs to be taken to not enable "pop-unders", but as
long as we don't require that UAs honor window.focus() and instead
just encourage it, I think that's covered.

/ Jonas