Re: [whatwg] New approach to activities/intents

Roger Hågensen <rescator@emsai.net> writes:

> Which brings another issue, how far is too far? Should the naming be
> standardized as well?
>
> Right click a URL on a page and what do you see?
> Chrome shows "Copy link adress"
> Firefox shows "Bookmark This Link" and "Copy Link Location"
> IE shows "Add to favorites..." "Copy shortcut"
> Opera "Copy link address"
>
> Right click a page and what do you see?
> Chrome shows nothing
> Firefox shows nothing
> IE shows "Add to favorites..." "Create shortcut"
> Opera "Add to Speed Dial" "Add to bookmarks" "Copy address"
>
> Right click a address field and what do you see?
> Chrome shows "Copy"
> Firefox shows "Copy"
> IE shows "Copy"
> Opera "Copy"
>
> Very confusing and inconsistent.
>
> I'd like to see the following:
> Right click a URL on a page and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
> Right click a page and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
> Right click a address field and see "Copy Link" "Bookmark/Share Link..."
> For touch screens/devices holding the finger for x amount of time would
> equal a right click.

> the same as "Copy Link".
> "Bookmark/Share Link..." will present a Share API.
>
> Opera has a neat thing when you bookmark a page, you are given a option
> of either a normal bookmark or a Speed Dial bookmark (tiny icon), and it
> also lets you choose the look of your bookmark (site logo, page
> thumbnail or text), by the looks of it very easy to add other forms of
> bookmarks or sharing to that UI (Facebook an Twitter etc.)
>
> To me there is no difference between a bookmark of a link or sharing a
> link, a bookmark is simply you sharing with yourself.
>
> I also wonder if a standardized icon/symbol should exist for a
> "Bookmark/Share" button on the surrounding UI of a browser.
> Opera has a heart symbol, Firefox has a star and clipboard/list thingy,
> IE has a star, and Chrome has a star.
>
> A star has been used for Favorite/Bookmark for quite a while.
> So what about "Bookmark/Share" ? Does a book with a star make sense or
> is that too cluttered? Or is Opera on trend with their heart?

AFAIK, all of these interface details lie outside the scope of the HTML
specification (and rightly so, IMHO). If you need a standard symbol for
bookmarks I suggest to use U+1F516 BOOKMARK, which looks like this „🔖“.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>