[whatwg] PSA: Chrome ignoring autocomplete="off" for Autofill data

From: Evan Stade <estade@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:20:22 -0800
Hi,

Chrome already ignores the prevalent autocomplete="off" for password
fields. We plan to ignore this tag for Autofill (addresses, credit cards)
fields as well. autocomplete="off" will still be respected for autocomplete
data (e.g. past searches on crbug.com).

We think this will break a very small number of sites that use
autocomplete="off" for legitimate reasons, e.g. they use the Google Maps
Places Autocomplete API, and don't want Chrome trying to autofill in
addition. But it will improve behavior for a much larger set of sites which
use autocomplete="off" for confused reasons as a part of, e.g., their
checkout flow. We have found the prevalence of autocomplete="off" in top
sites' checkout forms to be quite high.

Currently this new behavior is available behind a flag. We will soon be
inverting the flag, so you have to opt into respecting autocomplete="off".

I am curious what other browsers do around autocomplete="off", and if they
respect it for address/user profile/credit card type data. Since there's no
way to feature detect the browser's behavior, it would be convenient if all
browsers agreed on the meaning/value of the attribute.

-- Evan Stade