Re: [whatwg] Why won't you let us make our own HTML5 browsers?

> Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:52:05 -0400
> From: bzbarsky@MIT.EDU
> On 8/29/12 10:15 AM, Fred Andrews wrote:
> > Yes, but fluid layout could use some calculations and is it likely that declarative calculations would ever be added to CSS?
>
> You mean other than http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-values/#calc ?

Sorry I was not even aware of this, and thank you for pointing it out.

Yes, I think this is a good direction.

With some extensions to this feature perhaps image sets would become unnecessary.  The CSS calculations could just enable the appropriate image based on the image box pixels size, and it would have a lot more flexibility than the image set proposals.  It could also be used to select among video sets.  Perhaps also among stereoscopic 3D image formats if this were an attribute available to the calculations.

cheers
Fred