[whatwg] [media] played member expected behavior.

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:11:37 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Paul Adenot wrote:

> The played member [1] description of the media element states :
>
> > The played attribute must return a new static normalized TimeRanges
> > object that represents the ranges of the media resource, if any, that
> > the user agent has so far rendered, at the time the attribute is
> > evaluated.
>
> Currently implementing this member in Gecko, we are wondering the exact
> meaning of the 'rendered' term. If one seek in a video to a location
> while being in a paused state, the user agent 'renders' the frame at
> that location, since it is displayed on the screen. No audio (if any) is
> rendered, though.
>
> In that case, should we create an empty range starting and ending at the
> time that was seeked to ? That means creating multiple empty ranges if
> multiple seeks occur while being paused. Does the 'rendering' term
> implies that playback should occur ? This description need clarification
> to specify the exact behavior to adopt.
>
> Semantically, the name of the member itself ('played') seem to imply
> playback.

I think playback probably is the most useful. The use case here was
updating a playback scrub bar with colour for where the user has already
watched the video, and zero-length entries aren't useful for that.

I've made a note of this e-mail to fix the spec, but in the absence of
further information or opinions from anyone else, I'd go with playback as
you suggest.