[whatwg] [media] played member expected behavior.

From: Paul Adenot <padenot+whatwg@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:06:41 -0700
The played member [1] description of the media element states :

> The played attribute must return a new static normalized TimeRanges
> object that represents the ranges of the media resource, if any, that
> the user agent has so far rendered, at the time the attribute is
> evaluated.

Currently implementing this member in Gecko, we are wondering the exact
meaning of the 'rendered' term. If one seek in a video to a location
while being in a paused state, the user agent 'renders' the frame at
that location, since it is displayed on the screen. No audio (if any) is
rendered, though.

In that case, should we create an empty range starting and ending at the
time that was seeked to ? That means creating multiple empty ranges if
multiple seeks occur while being paused. Does the 'rendering' term
implies that playback should occur ? This description need clarification
to specify the exact behavior to adopt.

Semantically, the name of the member itself ('played') seem to imply
playback.

Thanks,
Paul.

[1] : www.whatwg.org/html/#dom-media-played