[Whatwg] Request for HTML-only print link

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:42:32 -0400
Sander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure whether this has been requested before, but the link to the
> archives of this list seems to be broken at the moment, so I give it a
> try...
>
> I'd like to see an extension of the hyperlink to give it an HTML-only
> print function. Nowadays making a print link available from within a
> website always involves client-side scripting. This dependency should
> not be necessary for something like printing as it is basic
> functionality in most browsers (not sure about mobile devices though).

Websites shouldn't need to have a print link, they should provide a print
style sheet with <link rel="stylesheet" media="print" src="...">. UAs should
be automatically applying the print style sheet when printing.

.all .irrelevant .navigation .and .advertisement .classes {
   display: none;
}

* {
   background: white !important;
   color: black !important;
}

should do the trick on a lot of sites if the author just bothers to put
it there. Of course the author could make the print result pretty, rather
than just a text dump. There are very few cases where a separate document
would be necessary.

~fantasai