[whatwg] Ruby markup - Furigana Re: Presentational safety valves

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 10:59:10 +1300
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2007, at 12:05, Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>> Le 4 janv. 2007 ? 18:41, Henri Sivonen a ?crit :
>>> It doesn't matter much. It is rather clear that the ruby markup is
>>> intended for a particular Chinese and Japanese typographical device.
>>> You'd use the markup whenever you want to use that typographical
>>> device. Bothering authors with what they profoundly mean when they
>>> use the typographical device isn't particularly helpful.
>>
>> Furigana is an annotation system.
>> And essential for learning the language at school.
>> Or read the kanjis that are too difficult to be known when browsing.
>
> Right, but my point is that authors will use the ruby markup when they
> want the furigana typographic effect. It isn't helpful to insist on a
> particular semantic scope like, for example, requiring the ruby base to
> be considered "difficult kanji".

Right. I have even seen cases where ruby is used to annotate English words
(base) with Japanese Kanji (ruby):

   http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/discuss/directions/scans/genji2

Ruby is a nifty annotation system if you want to mark up words in parallel,
as for pronunciation, or word-by-word translation, or grammatical labelling,
etc. The key difference from other annotation systems is that it can be
word-for-word without being awkward. (Imagine doing this with footnotes.)

~fantasai