[whatwg] contenteditable, <em> and <strong>

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:21:34 +0000
Hi,

The contenteditable spec says:

   Insert, and wrap text in, semantic elements

      UAs should offer a way for the user to mark text as
      having stress emphasis and as being important, and
      may offer the user the ability to mark text and blocks
      with other semantics.

I think it is no surprise that most UAs will implement this as emitting <em>
for CTRL+I and <stong> for CTRL+B, or similar interfaces that imply that the
user actually requested italics or bold with (to the UA) unknown intended
semantics. (IE and Opera emit <em> and <strong>, Safari emits <SPAN
class="Apple-style-span" style="font-weight: bold;">.) I think <i> and <b>
should be emitted instead, and the above text should reflect that.

Regards,
Simon Pieters

Fynda charter till solen http://www.msn.se/resor/