[whatwg] several messages about HTML5

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:41:12 +0100, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>
> wrote:
>> Surely it would make much more sense to have all the predefined class
>> names start with a dash? After all, XHTML5 is not yet standardised,
>> whereas people have been using all sorts of random class names for
>> years - but, I suspect, mostly without a leading dash.
>>
>> This is similar to the C/C++ thing of having reserved symbols like
>> __LINE__ start with an underscore.
>
> Surely it would make much more sense to have HTML parsers should stop at
> the first error too. This is similar to C/C++ compilers throwing an
> error at you.

I don't see how the analogy holds. Why is using a fairly clean namespace
for predefined class names instead of a well-used one the same sort of
thing as having HTML parsers stop at the first error?

(I guess I'm making an underlying assumption here that there aren't
loads of existing pages on the web using HTML 5 predefined class names
while expecting HTML 5 rendering and semantics for them. But, unless I'm
missing something, that seems like a reasonable assumption.)

Gerv