[whatwg] Input field's hint value

From: Wolfram Kriesing <wolfram.kriesing@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:28:47 +0100
I was searching, but didnt find a hint-attribute for an input. The
more often we are using inline editing, the more the need for the
following is rising, imho:

   <input type="whatever" hint="Enter your title here" />

The text "Enter your title here" is shown as the value while no value
is given, or when the field is empty, upon focusing the element this
string disappears. If no value was entered this text is shown again
... I guess its clear what I think of here, a lot of apps already have
that.
I could also imagine styling this hint text differently, may be customizable.
Is there already such a thing?

--
cu

Wolfram