[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:05:46 -0500
Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Sounds like we need content-types determined by inspection on web servers?
> (which would really slow-down serving pages, unless they could be cached,
> but with so much dynamic generated content that doesn't seem realistic...)

No, I don;t think so. There's nothing wrong with a server specifying the
content-type it likes for a document, though that decision should be in
the hands of the document author, not the server administrator. That's a
design flaw in a lot of web servers and server installations today.

My point is that the client gets to decide how it will process the
incoming document. The server can suggest but it can't demand. If the
client wants to process the incoming document as XML, HTML, plain text,
or JPEG, that's its choice. Different clients will have different needs
and thus make different choices.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!