[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Mike Schinkel wrote:
> > Sounds like we need content-types determined by inspection
> > on web servers?(which would really slow-down serving pages,
> > unless they could be cached, but with so much dynamic
> > generated content that doesn't seem realistic...)
> No, I don;t think so. There's nothing wrong with a server specifying
> the content-type it likes for a document, though that decision
> should be in the hands of the document author, not the server
> administrator. That's a design flaw in a lot of web servers and
> server installations today.

I think you missed my point, which was that authors should be in control. I
strongly believe in the need for web authors to control content types, and
I'm even doing some research in the area at the moment.

>> My point is that the client gets to decide how it will process the
>> incoming document. The server can suggest but it can't demand.
>> If the client wants to process the incoming document as XML,
>> HTML, plain text, or JPEG, that's its choice. Different clients will
>> have different needs and thus make different choices.

Hmm. I believe the http standard states that clients are not suppose to
override a content-type given by a server. For example, a web page showing a
script virus shouldn't be identified by the client as a script and executed;
the client should instead just display it as a web page like the server told
it to.  Or am I missing your context?

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/