[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> As Henri has outlined in his article on producing XML, using string
> concatenation and print statements to produce XML is a mistake.
> WordPress and MediaWiki fall into this category and it has proven to be
> a fatal architectural flaw in their design.  CMSs built like that would
> find it easier to migrate to HTML5.

For the record, I'm not convinced that's true. I think the flaw in the
mentioned products is an inadequate test suite, not the use of string
concatenation and print statements. Unlike XML input, XML output really
isn't all that hard. It doesn't always have to be delegated to a library.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!