Re: WebVR and DRM

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:39 PM, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How isn't this a gigantic technological retardation?
>>

> Florian, I appreciate your concern about the technical impact of DRM
> features, but this type of hyperbole doesn't help move the conversation
> forward.

Is it hyperbole to point out that it's a gigantic retardation
(re·tar·da·tion: the action of delaying or slowing the progress or
development of something.) when I point out that we've made great progress
treating content with programmable APIs, but that, essentially, baking a
limited number of programmable possibilities into a hardcoded layer is a
step backwards towards fixed-function pipelines. Is it really? Because...

> You're giving up flexibility and usability for a sense of false security.

You're saying the same thing, just coloring it differently.