Re: WebVR and DRM

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> How isn't this a gigantic technological retardation?

Florian, I appreciate your concern about the technical impact of DRM
features, but this type of hyperbole doesn't help move the conversation
forward.

 We do, indeed, have a programmable API in WebGL. The intent is that WebGL
is always available as the escape hatch, to do whatever weird, wonderful
thing you want. Nobody is going to take away the ability to render video
texture with WebGL, and in fact it should keep getting better over time.

As I mentioned previously, a dedicated video layer is both a DRM support
mechanism and ease-of-use primitive. In that context it makes sense for us
to choose several formats/layouts that we know can be well supported across
all platforms and commit to those. We know that if the defaults don't suit
your needs you can always fall back to WebGL, but we hope that we can make
choices that make life easier for the majority.

It should be noted that this puts DRM video at a significant disadvantage.
Want your encrypted media to use the latest and greatest packing? Sorry,
can't do it unless we can sample texels in WebGL. Want to show the video as
something other than a flat screen or sphere? Well, we might have been able
to do something about that, but the video was encrypted so... *shrug*
That's the reality of DRM: You're giving up flexibility and usability for a
sense of false security. As mentioned by others upthread, though, that's a
tradeoff that some insist on making.

--Brandon