Re: Towards a new charter for the WebRTC Working Group

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:07:30 +0000
T H Panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 10 Jan 2018, at 21:43, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 10 January 2018 at 07:03, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>
> > wrote:
> >> - Ease of deployment.   No offense to usrsctplib, but I hear a lot
> >> of complaints about having to use it to make a non-browser WebRTC
> >> endpoint. It's one of the biggest complaints we hear about WebRTC
> >> data channels: the pain of terminating SCTP (and DTLS).  That's a
> >> big reason why people want QUIC. There will soon be many
> >> implementations to choose from (if there aren't already) and you
> >> only have to terminate one protocol, not two (DTLS and SCTP;
> >> ignoring ICE).
> >
> > Absolutely.
> >
> > QUESTION: How many DataChannel libs / stacks are out there after 6
> > years of WebRTC?
>
> I can think of 4. Unfortunately they are mostly tied up in products,
> rather than packaged as libraries.
>
> The best to-date is probably Janus - getting a datachannel as part of
> a page is super easy. Jitsi has a datachannel library, but it isn't
> easy to get at. Lennart has RAWRTC
> and I'm working on |pipe|

Both Janus and (please correct me if I'm wrong Lennart) RAWRTC use
usrsctp to implement datachannels, though, which is what I believe
Iñaki was referring to: the lack of alternative libraries to implement
the underlying transport. That said, I don't think it would be easier
to find QUIC stack implementations: it would probably be just as hard.

Lorenzo

--
I'm getting older but, unlike whisky, I'm not getting any better
https://twitter.com/elminiero