Re: Towards a new charter for the WebRTC Working Group

> On 10 Jan 2018, at 21:43, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:
>
> On 10 January 2018 at 07:03, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:
>
>> - Ease of deployment.   No offense to usrsctplib, but I hear a lot of
>> complaints about having to use it to make a non-browser WebRTC endpoint.
>> It's one of the biggest complaints we hear about WebRTC data channels: the
>> pain of terminating SCTP (and DTLS).  That's a big reason why people want
>> QUIC. There will soon be many implementations to choose from (if there
>> aren't already) and you only have to terminate one protocol, not two (DTLS
>> and SCTP; ignoring ICE).
>
> Absolutely.
>
> QUESTION: How many DataChannel libs / stacks are out there after 6
> years of WebRTC?

I can think of 4. Unfortunately they are mostly tied up in products, rather than
packaged as libraries.

The best to-date is probably Janus - getting a datachannel as part of a page is super easy.
Jitsi has a datachannel library, but it isn't easy to get at.
Lennart has RAWRTC
and I'm working on |pipe|

> And no, usrsctplib is not the way to go. If, after 6 years, a
> technology has not produced community driven implementations with
> support for multiple languages, then something is just WRONG. How is
> it possible that, after 6 YEARS, we don't have ANY tinny library in
> ANY language to just run a simple script that connects via ICE + DTLS
> and establishes a DataChannel connection? Instead of that, we have
> "monster" projects (such as the wrongly called node-webrtc) that
> embeds the whole Google's libwebrtc (even if just the DataChannel
> feature is required).
>

|pipe| is a 6.7 Mb download that lets you write code like this:

var mapper = new BiFunc(){
    apply: function (label, stream) {
        Log.info("new inbound datachannel");
        var ret = null;
        switch (label) {
            case 'byteEcho':
                ret = new SCTPByteStreamListener(){
                    onMessage: function (stream, m) {
                        stream.send(m);
                    },
                    close: function (s) {
                        System.exit(0);
                    }
                }
                break;
 }
    }
}

Unfortunately it includes some proprietary ideas so it isn't open source.

T.