Re: Towards a new charter for the WebRTC Working Group

> On 11 Jan 2018, at 09:20, Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 09:07:30 +0000
> T H Panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk <mailto:thp@westhawk.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>>> On 10 Jan 2018, at 21:43, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:

>>> Absolutely.
>>>
>>> QUESTION: How many DataChannel libs / stacks are out there after 6
>>> years of WebRTC?
>>
>> I can think of 4. Unfortunately they are mostly tied up in products,
>> rather than packaged as libraries.
>>
>> The best to-date is probably Janus - getting a datachannel as part of
>> a page is super easy. Jitsi has a datachannel library, but it isn't
>> easy to get at. Lennart has RAWRTC
>> and I'm working on |pipe|
>>

> Both Janus and (please correct me if I'm wrong Lennart) RAWRTC use
> usrsctp to implement datachannels, though, which is what I believe
> Iñaki was referring to: the lack of alternative libraries to implement
> the underlying transport. That said, I don't think it would be easier
> to find QUIC stack implementations: it would probably be just as hard.

SCTP is hardly the worst offender, everyone uses the same Opus code.
Almost everyone uses the same SRTP code.

But I basically agree - hence I wrote https://github.com/steely-glint/srtplight <https://github.com/steely-glint/srtplight>
and https://github.com/pipe/sctp4j <https://github.com/pipe/sctp4j>
and arranged to have the DTLS part of https://github.com/bcgit/bc-java <https://github.com/bcgit/bc-java> sponsored
All of which are independent re-implementations of standards.

T.