Re: MDN Compat data project

Hi!

Thanks, and sorry for the late answer.

2014-01-27 Renoir Boulanger <renoir@w3.org>

> Hi Jeremie,
>
> Nice to "meet" you!  In case you don't know, I'm the resident
> devops/developer for the webplatform project.

Yeah, I lurk around for a while, but please to meet you too :)

> To give some detail about where we are and complete what Doug just said,
> i'm going to give some more links.
>
> Here are some interesting e-mails giving you what has been said:
> - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform/2014Jan/0017.html
> -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform-tests/2013OctDec/0000.html
> -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform-tests/2013OctDec/0001.html
> -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform-tests/2013OctDec/0034.html
> -
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webplatform-tests/2013OctDec/0029.html

Thanks, I've some reading to perform then.

> The current state is that we are 3 from webplatform that can work on this.
> Frozenice, Pat Tressel and myself.
>
> Frozenice created a nodejs project which will scrape pages and get compat
> data.

Okay, I'll take a look at this as it can help us making things easier for
such tools. However, among our goals, we come with the idea of providing
some API to easily reach our data.

> The main part of what we have to do now is to create a generic data model
> that will be used for each source. MDN will be one of them. [0]  The spec
> was started by Ronald, but he decided to stop contributing with us.

Okay, I'll take a look at it because we should have some come issues
therefor, we could use it if it fits our own requirement.

As Jean-Yves point it out on the MDN mailing-list, we have l10n issues to
address but I guess WPF will have such issues at some point as well.

Anyway, we are currently on the early stage of gathering our own functional
requirements in order to be sure we will not forget anything before moving
to technical requirements.

I'll keep you inform when we will reach a more concrete point. Feel free to
follow and contribute to our discussion on the dev-mdn and dev-mdc mailing
list in the meantime (and I'm gonna be subscribing to the webplatform-tests
ML).

Best,
--
Jeremie