From: Max Polk <maxpolk@gmail.com<mailto:maxpolk@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM
To: julee <jburdeki@adobe.com<mailto:jburdeki@adobe.com>>, Eliezer Bernart <eliezer.bernart@gmail.com<mailto:eliezer.bernart@gmail.com>>
Cc: WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: JS pages Return Value section isn't showing up

On 1/28/2014 9:07 PM, Julee Burdekin wrote:
Return Value isn’t part of the syntax and I thought we talked about it having its section, but it doesn’t look like the change was made.[1]

Return value in the original comes in five different formats:

1. As a separate section named "Return value" like the isArray function of Array:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/ff848265%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

2. As a parameter like "arrayObj" on the Array object page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/k4h76zbx%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

    Or like "numVar" on the length property of Array:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/d8ez24f2%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

3. In the remarks section like the concat method of Array:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/2e06zxh0%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

4. Completely missing and inferred from the example like the join method of Array:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/59x7k999%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

    In this last example your eyes have to go all the way down to:
    b = a.join("-");
    before you grasp what the return value is.

5.  In the summary section like the push method of Array (return value secondary information):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/6d0cbb1w%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

    Or like the pop method of Array which the return value is primary information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hx9fbx10%28v=vs.94%29.aspx

Since return values are very *often* parameters, it made sense to simply add it with a fake name "return value" like the other named return values.  Also, there is no automated way to figure out in all five cases what to do so as to create a new return value section, and figure out to remove it from the parameters, and so forth.

If you want the original Return Value section to be turned into the JS Return Value section, that's easy enough, I'll do it now and re-upload.  But all the other 4 kinds of return values will not have a JS Return Value section, because there is no automated way to do that.  There isn't even a strategy to do it manually yet, much less doing it automatically.