Re: Posting Guidelines: Top or bottom posting

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:52:29 -0400
To: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
CC: "public-webplatform@w3.org" <public-webplatform@w3.org>
Hi, Tobie-

On 10/17/12 12:20 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:

> While on the subject of posting guidelines, are we going to take a stand
> about bottom vs. top posting[1]... or leave it as an open question?
>
> [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting

I favor inline ("interleaved") or bottom posting, with liberal trimming
(remove greetings and sigs, strip out any settled points or unnecessary
examples).

I also take care personally to make sure that my replies are "blocked
off"... I leave one space after the text I'm replying to, and 2 spaces
after my comments and the next quoted block.

However, for some kinds of response, like "+1" or any kind of
polling-type information gathering ("Tuesday works for me"), top-posting
is just fine. It's just not great for involved responses. (In fact, I
really hate scrolling down 50 lines of quoted text just to see a "+1" or
minor comment, so top-posting is better there.)

My 2 cents-
-Doug