W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > October 2012

WPD: Example of a fixed reference article (html/elements/p)

From: frozenice <frozenice@frozenice.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 01:19:27 +0200
Message-ID: <507753FF.4060204@frozenice.de>
To: public-webplatform@w3.org
Hey all!

First off, a little intro: I recently joined this project and am really excited to see where this is going. I will do what I can to support WebPlatform.org! For now I'm doing a bit 
of administration on WPD and Q&A, hopefully we're soon able to reach a consensus on the IRC/Q&A stuff.

I'm posting this so you lot can take a look at what a fixed reference article looks like. Yesterday I took the liberty to fix one, especially dealing with the imported stuff 
(Import Notes field in formedit).

You can find the article here: http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/html/elements/p
You can compare it to the older version here: http://docs.webplatform.org/w/index.php?title=html/elements/p&oldid=13355

Remarks / Error-Reports / etc. are welcome. Hopefully you can use this to judge if this is the way such articles should look like.

And for Chris, here are my notes (he wanted to do an article on how to create/fix reference articles):
- check what the editor before me had done: http://docs.webplatform.org/w/index.php?title=html%2Felements%2Fp&diff=13355&oldid=9438
-- summary, remarks and some other stuff as it seems
- I'm assuming the article has a formedit compatible template
-- I used only the formedit, I think, as there was no need to fix anything in the raw source
- remove extra brackets around links, external links use single square brackets and a space as seperator for the displayed title
-- in this case the only one was the MSDN Link right at the bottom, maybe note that this field automatically wraps it's text in single square brackets
-- there might also be erroneous links in the other fields, seen some in other articles
[Import Notes only stuff from here on, that means the text that's in that field in formedit, not raw stuff via edit source]
- fixing anchor-links
-- "[#events Events]" -> "[[#Events|Events]]"
-- this requires a heading like "====Events===="
- collapsing multiple spaces / formatting line-breaks
-- there were several places where 2-3 spaces were used instead of one, could be due to the import
-- some table cells had more than one line, I formatted them like this: "Gets the namespace defined for the element.<br>This property is not supported for Metro style apps using 
JavaScript."
-- that is totally open for discussion, of course, but the way it was took too much space, in my opinion
- fixing tables (the largest part)
-- "|" needs to be replaced with "{{!}}" where appropriate, that means:
-- the start and end tag of a table become "{{{!}} ... {{!}}}" instead of "{| ... |}"
-- row breaks become "{{!}}-" instead of "|-"
-- cells become "{{!}} text" instead of "| text"
-- pipes DO NOT need replacing in link-markups in tables, e.g. this is fine: "{{!}}Sets an [[dom/attributes|'''attribute''']] object node as part of the object."

I hope I remembered everything. :) Oh, the preview likes to (in some cases) decode too much, resulting in wrongly-rendered previews, mostly only printing "{" instead of a table 
etc., it's on my to-bug list. Also, as Garbee just experienced, that transclusion trick for the pipe should be made way aware. :/

P.S.: I hope signing my messages with S/MIME doesn't break anything here


Cheers and all the best wishes for the future
Frozenice | http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/User:Frozenice
(fr0zenice on IRC)




Received on Thursday, 11 October 2012 23:47:36 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:34 UTC