Re: HTML in markup.

From: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:46:16 +0000
Cc: Jonathan Garbee <jonathan@garbee.me>, public-webplatform@w3.org
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

On 18 Nov 2012, at 19:36, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Chris-
>
> On 11/18/12 5:53 AM, Chris Mills wrote:
>> Agree with Doug.
>>
>> I think this is a bit of a red herring, and learning wiki markup is
>> pretty trivial really. I on;y use HTML markup in situations where the
>> wiki markup results in really crappy results. Like when dealing with
>> nested list items.
>
> What sort of problems with nested list items?
>
> I've made a guide for creating lists in wikitext, in case that helps:
> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Style_Guide/Lists

Nice one Doug - this is a cool guide.

The problems arise when you are doing complex lists where you want a number of items inside each list item, e.g.

<ul>
  <li>
    <syntaxHighlight lang="html5">Code block
    code block line 2</syntaxHighlight>
  </li>
  <li>

  </li>

This kind of thing is really messy and horrible to try to do in Wiki markup, comes out looking terrible.