W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > November 2012

Re: Public TelCon Tomorrow, November 6th at standard time

From: frozenice <frozenice@frozenice.de>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 21:04:03 +0100
Message-ID: <50996D33.3040006@frozenice.de>
To: public-webplatform@w3.org
Have there ever been thoughts about switching the TelCon to VoIP? Tuning in from Germany I have two issues: telephone fees and voice quality.

If we would use something like Mumble [1] then international participants wouldn't need to worry about their telephone bill and would be able to understand people more clearly 
(anyone who tried Mumble has to love the voice quality there). I guess most people own a headset for Skype / Teamspeak / similar anyway.

There are also free iOS/Android apps for Mumble, so people can still join if they aren't near a computer (provided they have a compatible device).

If any folks want to give Mumble a try, you can connect to frozenice.de port 33445 (no password needed, Server is in Germany). You might need to bring someone to talk to along ;) 
Else there's a server loopback test mode in your options.

Mumble authentication (if someone wants to register) is based on certificates, you can also bring along your own valid cert you use for S/MIME for example, if not your client will 
generate a self-signed cert.

Mumble could also be used at anytime, for spontaneous meetings and such, maybe even some people like to hang around.

Just saying, I think it would be nice, but that's just my opinion.

[1] http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ (yes, it's open-source!)


On 06.11.2012 19:15, Alex Komoroske wrote:
> Great meeting today!
>
> Here are the action items:
>
> As a reminder, *action items are expected to be completed by the next meeting (Tuesday)*.
>
> ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
> ACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse data license and use on WPD.
> ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into feasibility of markdown tool
> ACTION: Peter to write up formal debrief of Adobe doc sprint
> ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do translations by hand and send e-mails to the list
> ACTION: shepazu to document how the translation workflow should work and send to the list
> ACTION: scottrowe to write up a proposal for flow-chart/organization of architecture
> ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only admins can move pages
> ACTION: Julee to set up content architecture meetings for the next few weeks
> ACTION: Scott to add the upcoming WPD Google hackathon
> ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John Alsup folks about doing a WPD docsprint
> ACTION: Alex to send out a doodle poll about a template-guru seminar
> ACTION: Garbee to flesh out the todo proposal, including wireframes, open questions, etc.
> ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting skin on GitHub
> ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list about the different options for title
>
> And here are the full notes:
>
> jkomoros: scribe: jkomoros
> [09:06am] jkomoros: Topic: Review last week's action items
> [09:06am] jkomoros: ACTION: Janet to propose a page where people keep track of what they're currently working on
> [09:06am] HammHetfield joined the chat room.
> [09:06am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Janet did do this
> [09:06am] jkomoros: julee_: No response to the thread
> [09:07am] paul_irish: http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Current_activity
> [09:07am] chris9911 joined the chat room.
> [09:07am] jkomoros: paul_irish: There's a straw man there with an example. A few people chimed in on the thread, and that's as far as got.
> [09:07am] jkomoros: ACTION: jkomoros to explain use of merge candidate flag on the page.
> [09:07am] jkomoros: jkomoros: done, on WPD:Flags/Merge_Candidate
> [09:08am] jkomoros: ACTION: Garbee to write up proposal for tracking of TODOs on site and send for comment.
> [09:08am] jkomoros: Garbee: Done.
> [09:08am] jkomoros: ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
> [09:08am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Not done. I will plan to tackle on Friday
> [09:08am] jkomoros: NEWACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
> [09:08am] jkomoros: OLDACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse data license and use on WPD.
> [09:08am] jkomoros: paul_irish: Incomplete
> [09:08am] jkomoros: NEWACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse data license and use on WPD.
> [09:09am] jkomoros: ACTION: Paul to re-open markdown syntax ticket and restart discussion
> [09:09am] jkomoros: paul_irish: Garbee reopened it and discussion.Discussion tracked along the lines of, "awesome to do client side, but we need to go in both directions."
> [09:09am] David_Bradbury joined the chat room.
> [09:09am] jkomoros: … We need to translate wikimarkup back into markdown, and that part is hard to do. Needs more exploration
> [09:09am] jkomoros: … I will do more exploration
> [09:10am] jkomoros: ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into feasibility of markdown tool
> [09:10am] leaverou joined the chat room.
> [09:10am] jkomoros: Topic: Docsprint Debrief
> [09:10am] jkomoros: PeterLubbers: Great event. About 120 people signed up. Only had space for about 50. we figured there would be a number of no-shows.
> [09:10am] jkomoros: … at the peak we had between 50 and 60 in the room.
> [09:11am] shepazu: (why markdown rather than wysiwyg?)
> [09:11am] jkomoros: … We opened 34 new accounts. Maybe 60-70% of new folks
> [09:11am] Garbee: Markdown is what most seem to like to write in more.  I'd guess due to GitHub.
> [09:11am] jkomoros: … and a number of very experienced folks, including some with MediaWiki experence
> [09:11am] jkomoros: … HUGE thanks to Adobe. Really successful.
> [09:11am] jkomoros: … they provided breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, and the space.
> [09:11am] Garbee: We actually need to discuss that more, since I learned this week we can use some real HTML markup, so that would be the preferred way to go I think.
> [09:12am] jkomoros: … and nice shwag. T-shirts and some nice notebooks.
> [09:12am] jkomoros: … we have more t-shirts coming.
> [09:12am] cgoodman joined the chat room.
> [09:12am] jkomoros: … I'll do a more formal writeup
> [09:12am] jkomoros: … I went through all of the history logs, we go through over 800 committs!
> [09:12am] jkomoros: ACTION: Peter to write up formal debrief of Adobe doc sprint
> [09:12am] jkomoros: … lead of Sencha spent all day working  on SVG filter documentation
> [09:13am] David_Bradbury: I'd avoid WYSIWYG if we can. We should encourage clean markup here just as we would in our actual code
> [09:13am] jkomoros: … we started at 9:30 and ended around 5, and majority were there the whole day
> [09:13am] jkomoros: … no major issues. No 503 errors, for examples.
> [09:13am] Garbee: WYSIWYG is actually needed.  Since we want the lowest barrier to entry possible.
> [09:13am] jkomoros: … a number of developers wanted to be able to send pull requests for CSS/site
> [09:13am] jkomoros: … others wanted to make the developers more interactive.
> [09:14am] jkomoros: … last night one of them sent summary e-mail to the group. Cool prototypes--everyone should check them out.
> [09:14am] jkomoros: … for this hackathon, Scott Rowe created a doc sprint tracking sheet. It worked pretty well. People could claim the areas they were working on so they wouldn't
> step on each other's toes
> [09:15am] mike5w3c left the chat room. (Quit: mike5w3c)
> [09:15am] jkomoros: … definitely having a tool LIKE this is important for future docsprints
> [09:15am] Garbee: http://bit.ly/YDdTU2  --Link to spreadsheet.
> [09:16am] paul_irish: jkomoros: one of the guys there was an expert in mediawiki bots. he wrote one that looked at recent new/moved pages and flag ones that dont follow URL
> guidelines we set. e.g. if the HTML was uppercase, it'd flag it. He was gonna post to list but didn't just yet
> [09:17am] jswisher joined the chat room.
> [09:17am] jkomoros: PeterLubbers: Part of the point of these events is the on boarding process to get new people involved.
> [09:18am] mdel joined the chat room.
> [09:18am] jkomoros: topic: Translations
> [09:19am] jkomoros: jkomoros: At the docsprint, NotTomato found a lot of pages that were translations and flagged them
> [09:19am] jkomoros: shepazu: We wanted to have translations at launch. But the mediawiki extensions weren't suitable. They had a bad workflow and changed content around in original
> article.
> [09:20am] jkomoros: … The same people that helped us with comments extension and others, we've been talking with them about doing a translation extension. There are also folks from
> Wikipedia who are interested.
> [09:20am] jkomoros: … in the meantime we could simply allow people to create translations using the convention we're going to follow
> [09:20am] jkomoros: … so if someone would want to do a spanish article, they could take the original article, add a "/es" to the end of the URL and do a translation there.
> [09:21am] jkomoros: … to keep them current, we need to have an indicator on the main page about which translations are available, and on the translated page how recently the main
> page has been updated since this one has been page.
> [09:21am] jkomoros: *edited
> [09:21am] jkomoros: … and also a new UI.
> [09:21am] jkomoros: … we hope to have it started very soon. This is a common request.
> [09:22am] chris9911 left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
> [09:22am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do translations by hand and send e-mails to the list
> [09:22am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to document how the translation workflow should work and send to the list
> [09:23am] jkomoros: eliot: What happens with moved English articles?
> [09:23am] jkomoros: shepazu: Because they're all subpages, as long as you check "move subpages", which should be default, then it should work
> [09:25am] mstalfoort left the chat room. (Quit: kthxbai)
> [09:25am] jkomoros: jkomoros: We need to make sure that people know where to put articles
> [09:25am] jkomoros: shepazu: What about a wizard
> [09:25am] jkomoros: paul_irish: We could just have a bot flag these so admins can figure out where they go
> [09:26am] jkomoros: … I want the contributor to be able to contribute very quickly. Don't want them to have to learn about entire IA.
> [09:26am] jkomoros: … So I'd like a way for admins to be able to find new articles and move them
> [09:26am] jkomoros: scottrowe: I've looked into this. I've found our current URL architecture is very confused.
> [09:27am] jkomoros: … We haven't arrived at an agreement at how API should be built out.
> [09:27am] jkomoros: … I'm working on a proposal which I'll send out today
> [09:27am] jkomoros: *this week
> [09:27am] jkomoros: ACTION: scottrowe to write up a proposal for flow-chart/organization of architecture
> [09:27am] mike5w3c joined the chat room.
> [09:28am] fr0zenice: just checked, if someone did say that pages can only be moved by admins, that's wrong [sry the quality isn't the best, listening from germany :)]
> [09:28am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only admins can move pages
> [09:29am] jkomoros: julee_: This is why I wanted a con tent architecture meeting
> [09:29am] jkomoros: … so maybe once scott sends that out we can meet up
> [09:29am] jkomoros: … if we are able to document what the architecture IS, then we can reinforce it in the experience on the website, which will help people understand it.
> [09:29am] Garbee: fr0zenice, If it is wrong then we should address the permissions.
> [09:29am] jkomoros: … If we can have pages that are exemplary of a given type to point people to
> [09:30am] Garbee: They *should* be only movable my admins atm.  Regular users should flag.
> [09:30am] fr0zenice: then we need to strip movefile / move / move-subpages / move-rootuserpages from Users
> [09:31am] jkomoros: ACTION: Julee to set up content architecture meetings for the next few weeks
> [09:32am] jkofoed joined the chat room.
> [09:32am] jkomoros: Topic: Vibrant use of events calendar
> [09:32am] jkomoros: eliot: Just wanted to make sure we get a calendar going so we have more than two items on there.
> [09:32am] shepazu: +1
> [09:32am] jkomoros: … ideally we'd have a 3 month lead of conferences, doc sprints, hackathons.
> [09:32am] shepazu: q+
> [09:32am] HammHetfield left the chat room. (Quit: HammHetfield)
> [09:33am] jkomoros: … I think that's a resource we can make use of
> [09:33am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Absolutely. Put things up as soon as you know they may happen. Mark as tentative before the date is finalized.
> [09:33am] jkomoros: ACTION: Scott to add the upcoming WPD Google hackathon
> [09:34am] jkomoros: shepazu: It occurs to me that we might want to co-locate a docsprint with a conference
> [09:35am] jkomoros: … or even emphasize conferences that are aligned with WPD, or that give a free ticket to a WPD memeber.
> [09:35am] jkomoros: eliot: Does anyone have a close contact at Event Apart?
> [09:35am] jkomoros: shepazu: We've talked to some of these folks, they're enthusiastic
> [09:35am] Salt joined the chat room.
> [09:35am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John Alsup folks about doing a WPD docsprint
> [09:37am] desbenoit joined the chat room.
> [09:38am] jkomoros: ACTION: Alex to send out a doodle poll about a template-guru seminar
> [09:39am] jkomoros: shepazu: Ryan suggested maybe Lua to look into
> [09:39am] jkomoros: Topic: Tracking actions
> [09:39am] jkomoros: Garbee: There have been a lot of complaints about bug tracker being on separate domain and need a new account
> [09:40am] jkomoros: … so we should ideally bring on the same domain and ideally one with open ID/SSO with main site
> [09:40am] jkomoros: … bug genie has the ability to track just about anything we want to do with the project.
> [09:40am] shepazu: q+
> [09:42am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Want to make sure we're addressing all use cases (e.g. savvy admin changes down to drive-by questions)
> [09:42am] shaundunne joined the chat room.
> [09:42am] jkomoros: Garbee: Ideally we'd have a comment system that's plugged into bug system and automatically files a bug
> [09:42am] shaundunne left the chat room.
> [09:43am] jkomoros: scottrowe: Does that mean the comments from the wiki could be funneled into buggenie
> [09:43am] jkomoros: Garbee: Ideally, that's what I'd like. Since BugGenie allows different fields.
> [09:43am] jkomoros: shepazu: Does BugGenie have a write API.
> [09:44am] jkomoros: Garbee: Not sure. I'll look into this if we'd need to do custom work
> [09:44am] fr0zenice: ref: http://issues.thebuggenie.com/wiki/Category%3ATheBugGenie%3ADevelopment
> [09:44am] jkomoros: jkomoros: This will require a technical expert to be looped in, ideally Ryan
> [09:44am] jkomoros: shepazu: I agree mostly with what's been said.
> [09:45am] jkomoros: we do want to have people create accounts and join the community. I do want to lower the barrier for bugs.
> [09:45am] jkomoros: … the idea of having it somehow tie into comment extension interests me.
> [09:46am] jkomoros: shepazu: I think Ryan is supposed to be back not next Tuesday but the one after that
> [09:47am] jkomoros: ACTION: Garbee to flesh out the todo proposal, including wireframes, open questions, etc.
> [09:47am] jkomoros: scottrowe: I've noticed that sometimes I need to save on the wiki twice.
> [09:47am] Garbee: You may need to refresh the page by dropping the cache.
> [09:47am] Garbee: Edit tab > Refresh
> [09:49am] jkomoros: jkomoros: I noticed an out-of-order problem in the history this weekend
> [09:49am] Garbee: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19390
> [09:49am] jkomoros: Garbee: For session information, it's going to require at least a mediawiki engine update.
> [09:49am] shepazu: Garbee++
> [09:50am] Garbee: I had to combine like 4 bugs into that one session bug.
> [09:50am] Garbee: They were just annoying to see everywhere.
> [09:50am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Is there  way to make progress on hosting the wiki on github?
> [09:50am] jkomoros: shepazu: We could host skin on github in the short term.
> [09:50am] jkomoros: … this project is three or four different open source projects, which all have their own contribution paths
> [09:50am] jkomoros: … but there are a few things that we could put on GitHub this week.
> [09:51am] jkomoros: … I noticed there was a web platform on github. Do we know who that is?
> [09:51am] jkomoros: ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting skin on GitHub
> [09:51am] jkomoros: … we also want to host our extensions in a place where people can contribute to them.
> [09:52am] jkomoros: … and just to clarify, we're TOTALLY open to this
> [09:52am] jkomoros: shepazu: One last thing
> [09:52am] jkomoros: … some people had asked about changing the title for the pages in the wiki for SEO
> [09:53am] jkomoros: … I made an extension that does this, and it's ready to deploy when it will be least disruptive.
> [09:53am] jkomoros: … What I'm proposing as the title content is basically "<page title> : <topic-title> : WPD"
> [09:53am] jkomoros: "font-size : CSS : WPD"
> [09:54am] jkomoros: benoit: There won't be Web Platform in the title
> [09:54am] leaverou: q+
> [09:55am] jkomoros: ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list about the different options for title
> [09:55am] leaverou: q-
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Julee Burdekin <jburdeki@adobe.com <mailto:jburdeki@adobe.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi: I added an agenda item:
>
>     Content architecture meeting(s)?
>
>
>
>             J
>             ----------------------------
>
>
>         julee@adobe.com <mailto:julee@adobe.com>
>
>
>         @adobejulee
>
>
>
>     From: Alex Komoroske <komoroske@google.com <mailto:komoroske@google.com>>
>     Date: Monday, November 5, 2012 9:44 AM
>     To: "public-webplatform@w3.org <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>" <public-webplatform@w3.org <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
>     Subject: Public TelCon Tomorrow, November 6th at standard time
>     Resent-From: <public-webplatform@w3.org <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
>     Resent-Date: Monday, November 5, 2012 9:45 AM
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'll be chairing the weekly telcon tomorrow (11/6) at 16:00 UTC / 12:00 ET / 9:00 PT. You can find tactical details about the meeting
>     at http://docs.webplatform.org/__wiki/WPD:Meetings <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Meetings>
>
>     Agenda:
>     * Welcome
>     * Review of last week's action items
>     * Triage of new bugs
>     * Discussion topics (we'll see how many we have time for):
>        * Docsprint debrief
>        * Translations (hopefully with the right people in the call this time)
>        * Tracking bugs/actions with BugGenie
>        * A seminar about how we've wired up our intricate template system
>
>
>     Please feel free to suggest more agenda topics that you'd like to discuss.
>
>     As a reminder, these meetings are open to anyone, although we especially value the participation of active community members.
>
>     --Alex
>
>



Received on Tuesday, 6 November 2012 20:04:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:35 UTC