W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webplatform@w3.org > November 2012

Re: Public TelCon Tomorrow, November 6th at standard time

From: Jonathan Garbee <jonathan@garbee.me>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 15:13:19 -0500
Message-ID: <50996F5F.4090002@garbee.me>
To: public-webplatform@w3.org
You can use Skype to call in and it should be toll free even using 
that.  It is how I have been calling in the past two weeks.

-Garbee

On 11/6/2012 3:04 PM, frozenice wrote:
> Have there ever been thoughts about switching the TelCon to VoIP? 
> Tuning in from Germany I have two issues: telephone fees and voice 
> quality.
>
> If we would use something like Mumble [1] then international 
> participants wouldn't need to worry about their telephone bill and 
> would be able to understand people more clearly (anyone who tried 
> Mumble has to love the voice quality there). I guess most people own a 
> headset for Skype / Teamspeak / similar anyway.
>
> There are also free iOS/Android apps for Mumble, so people can still 
> join if they aren't near a computer (provided they have a compatible 
> device).
>
> If any folks want to give Mumble a try, you can connect to 
> frozenice.de port 33445 (no password needed, Server is in Germany). 
> You might need to bring someone to talk to along ;) Else there's a 
> server loopback test mode in your options.
>
> Mumble authentication (if someone wants to register) is based on 
> certificates, you can also bring along your own valid cert you use for 
> S/MIME for example, if not your client will generate a self-signed cert.
>
> Mumble could also be used at anytime, for spontaneous meetings and 
> such, maybe even some people like to hang around.
>
> Just saying, I think it would be nice, but that's just my opinion.
>
> [1] http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ (yes, it's open-source!)
>
>
> On 06.11.2012 19:15, Alex Komoroske wrote:
>> Great meeting today!
>>
>> Here are the action items:
>>
>> As a reminder, *action items are expected to be completed by the next 
>> meeting (Tuesday)*.
>>
>> ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff about attributes
>> ACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse data license and use on 
>> WPD.
>> ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into feasibility of markdown 
>> tool
>> ACTION: Peter to write up formal debrief of Adobe doc sprint
>> ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do translations by hand 
>> and send e-mails to the list
>> ACTION: shepazu to document how the translation workflow should work 
>> and send to the list
>> ACTION: scottrowe to write up a proposal for flow-chart/organization 
>> of architecture
>> ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only admins can move pages
>> ACTION: Julee to set up content architecture meetings for the next 
>> few weeks
>> ACTION: Scott to add the upcoming WPD Google hackathon
>> ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John Alsup folks about doing 
>> a WPD docsprint
>> ACTION: Alex to send out a doodle poll about a template-guru seminar
>> ACTION: Garbee to flesh out the todo proposal, including wireframes, 
>> open questions, etc.
>> ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting skin on GitHub
>> ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list about the different 
>> options for title
>>
>> And here are the full notes:
>>
>> jkomoros: scribe: jkomoros
>> [09:06am] jkomoros: Topic: Review last week's action items
>> [09:06am] jkomoros: ACTION: Janet to propose a page where people keep 
>> track of what they're currently working on
>> [09:06am] HammHetfield joined the chat room.
>> [09:06am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Janet did do this
>> [09:06am] jkomoros: julee_: No response to the thread
>> [09:07am] paul_irish: 
>> http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Current_activity
>> [09:07am] chris9911 joined the chat room.
>> [09:07am] jkomoros: paul_irish: There's a straw man there with an 
>> example. A few people chimed in on the thread, and that's as far as got.
>> [09:07am] jkomoros: ACTION: jkomoros to explain use of merge 
>> candidate flag on the page.
>> [09:07am] jkomoros: jkomoros: done, on WPD:Flags/Merge_Candidate
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: ACTION: Garbee to write up proposal for tracking 
>> of TODOs on site and send for comment.
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: Garbee: Done.
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: ACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff 
>> about attributes
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Not done. I will plan to tackle on Friday
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: NEWACTION: jkomoros to implement the above stuff 
>> about attributes
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: OLDACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse 
>> data license and use on WPD.
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: paul_irish: Incomplete
>> [09:08am] jkomoros: NEWACTION: Paul to talk to Alexis about CanIUse 
>> data license and use on WPD.
>> [09:09am] jkomoros: ACTION: Paul to re-open markdown syntax ticket 
>> and restart discussion
>> [09:09am] jkomoros: paul_irish: Garbee reopened it and 
>> discussion.Discussion tracked along the lines of, "awesome to do 
>> client side, but we need to go in both directions."
>> [09:09am] David_Bradbury joined the chat room.
>> [09:09am] jkomoros: … We need to translate wikimarkup back into 
>> markdown, and that part is hard to do. Needs more exploration
>> [09:09am] jkomoros: … I will do more exploration
>> [09:10am] jkomoros: ACTION: Paul to do further investigation into 
>> feasibility of markdown tool
>> [09:10am] leaverou joined the chat room.
>> [09:10am] jkomoros: Topic: Docsprint Debrief
>> [09:10am] jkomoros: PeterLubbers: Great event. About 120 people 
>> signed up. Only had space for about 50. we figured there would be a 
>> number of no-shows.
>> [09:10am] jkomoros: … at the peak we had between 50 and 60 in the room.
>> [09:11am] shepazu: (why markdown rather than wysiwyg?)
>> [09:11am] jkomoros: … We opened 34 new accounts. Maybe 60-70% of new 
>> folks
>> [09:11am] Garbee: Markdown is what most seem to like to write in 
>> more.  I'd guess due to GitHub.
>> [09:11am] jkomoros: … and a number of very experienced folks, 
>> including some with MediaWiki experence
>> [09:11am] jkomoros: … HUGE thanks to Adobe. Really successful.
>> [09:11am] jkomoros: … they provided breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, 
>> and the space.
>> [09:11am] Garbee: We actually need to discuss that more, since I 
>> learned this week we can use some real HTML markup, so that would be 
>> the preferred way to go I think.
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: … and nice shwag. T-shirts and some nice notebooks.
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: … we have more t-shirts coming.
>> [09:12am] cgoodman joined the chat room.
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: … I'll do a more formal writeup
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: … I went through all of the history logs, we go 
>> through over 800 committs!
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: ACTION: Peter to write up formal debrief of Adobe 
>> doc sprint
>> [09:12am] jkomoros: … lead of Sencha spent all day working  on SVG 
>> filter documentation
>> [09:13am] David_Bradbury: I'd avoid WYSIWYG if we can. We should 
>> encourage clean markup here just as we would in our actual code
>> [09:13am] jkomoros: … we started at 9:30 and ended around 5, and 
>> majority were there the whole day
>> [09:13am] jkomoros: … no major issues. No 503 errors, for examples.
>> [09:13am] Garbee: WYSIWYG is actually needed.  Since we want the 
>> lowest barrier to entry possible.
>> [09:13am] jkomoros: … a number of developers wanted to be able to 
>> send pull requests for CSS/site
>> [09:13am] jkomoros: … others wanted to make the developers more 
>> interactive.
>> [09:14am] jkomoros: … last night one of them sent summary e-mail to 
>> the group. Cool prototypes--everyone should check them out.
>> [09:14am] jkomoros: … for this hackathon, Scott Rowe created a doc 
>> sprint tracking sheet. It worked pretty well. People could claim the 
>> areas they were working on so they wouldn't
>> step on each other's toes
>> [09:15am] mike5w3c left the chat room. (Quit: mike5w3c)
>> [09:15am] jkomoros: … definitely having a tool LIKE this is important 
>> for future docsprints
>> [09:15am] Garbee: http://bit.ly/YDdTU2  --Link to spreadsheet.
>> [09:16am] paul_irish: jkomoros: one of the guys there was an expert 
>> in mediawiki bots. he wrote one that looked at recent new/moved pages 
>> and flag ones that dont follow URL
>> guidelines we set. e.g. if the HTML was uppercase, it'd flag it. He 
>> was gonna post to list but didn't just yet
>> [09:17am] jswisher joined the chat room.
>> [09:17am] jkomoros: PeterLubbers: Part of the point of these events 
>> is the on boarding process to get new people involved.
>> [09:18am] mdel joined the chat room.
>> [09:18am] jkomoros: topic: Translations
>> [09:19am] jkomoros: jkomoros: At the docsprint, NotTomato found a lot 
>> of pages that were translations and flagged them
>> [09:19am] jkomoros: shepazu: We wanted to have translations at 
>> launch. But the mediawiki extensions weren't suitable. They had a bad 
>> workflow and changed content around in original
>> article.
>> [09:20am] jkomoros: … The same people that helped us with comments 
>> extension and others, we've been talking with them about doing a 
>> translation extension. There are also folks from
>> Wikipedia who are interested.
>> [09:20am] jkomoros: … in the meantime we could simply allow people to 
>> create translations using the convention we're going to follow
>> [09:20am] jkomoros: … so if someone would want to do a spanish 
>> article, they could take the original article, add a "/es" to the end 
>> of the URL and do a translation there.
>> [09:21am] jkomoros: … to keep them current, we need to have an 
>> indicator on the main page about which translations are available, 
>> and on the translated page how recently the main
>> page has been updated since this one has been page.
>> [09:21am] jkomoros: *edited
>> [09:21am] jkomoros: … and also a new UI.
>> [09:21am] jkomoros: … we hope to have it started very soon. This is a 
>> common request.
>> [09:22am] chris9911 left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
>> [09:22am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to write up a guide on how to do 
>> translations by hand and send e-mails to the list
>> [09:22am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to document how the translation 
>> workflow should work and send to the list
>> [09:23am] jkomoros: eliot: What happens with moved English articles?
>> [09:23am] jkomoros: shepazu: Because they're all subpages, as long as 
>> you check "move subpages", which should be default, then it should work
>> [09:25am] mstalfoort left the chat room. (Quit: kthxbai)
>> [09:25am] jkomoros: jkomoros: We need to make sure that people know 
>> where to put articles
>> [09:25am] jkomoros: shepazu: What about a wizard
>> [09:25am] jkomoros: paul_irish: We could just have a bot flag these 
>> so admins can figure out where they go
>> [09:26am] jkomoros: … I want the contributor to be able to contribute 
>> very quickly. Don't want them to have to learn about entire IA.
>> [09:26am] jkomoros: … So I'd like a way for admins to be able to find 
>> new articles and move them
>> [09:26am] jkomoros: scottrowe: I've looked into this. I've found our 
>> current URL architecture is very confused.
>> [09:27am] jkomoros: … We haven't arrived at an agreement at how API 
>> should be built out.
>> [09:27am] jkomoros: … I'm working on a proposal which I'll send out 
>> today
>> [09:27am] jkomoros: *this week
>> [09:27am] jkomoros: ACTION: scottrowe to write up a proposal for 
>> flow-chart/organization of architecture
>> [09:27am] mike5w3c joined the chat room.
>> [09:28am] fr0zenice: just checked, if someone did say that pages can 
>> only be moved by admins, that's wrong [sry the quality isn't the 
>> best, listening from germany :)]
>> [09:28am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to lock it down so that only 
>> admins can move pages
>> [09:29am] jkomoros: julee_: This is why I wanted a con tent 
>> architecture meeting
>> [09:29am] jkomoros: … so maybe once scott sends that out we can meet up
>> [09:29am] jkomoros: … if we are able to document what the 
>> architecture IS, then we can reinforce it in the experience on the 
>> website, which will help people understand it.
>> [09:29am] Garbee: fr0zenice, If it is wrong then we should address 
>> the permissions.
>> [09:29am] jkomoros: … If we can have pages that are exemplary of a 
>> given type to point people to
>> [09:30am] Garbee: They *should* be only movable my admins atm. 
>> Regular users should flag.
>> [09:30am] fr0zenice: then we need to strip movefile / move / 
>> move-subpages / move-rootuserpages from Users
>> [09:31am] jkomoros: ACTION: Julee to set up content architecture 
>> meetings for the next few weeks
>> [09:32am] jkofoed joined the chat room.
>> [09:32am] jkomoros: Topic: Vibrant use of events calendar
>> [09:32am] jkomoros: eliot: Just wanted to make sure we get a calendar 
>> going so we have more than two items on there.
>> [09:32am] shepazu: +1
>> [09:32am] jkomoros: … ideally we'd have a 3 month lead of 
>> conferences, doc sprints, hackathons.
>> [09:32am] shepazu: q+
>> [09:32am] HammHetfield left the chat room. (Quit: HammHetfield)
>> [09:33am] jkomoros: … I think that's a resource we can make use of
>> [09:33am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Absolutely. Put things up as soon as 
>> you know they may happen. Mark as tentative before the date is 
>> finalized.
>> [09:33am] jkomoros: ACTION: Scott to add the upcoming WPD Google 
>> hackathon
>> [09:34am] jkomoros: shepazu: It occurs to me that we might want to 
>> co-locate a docsprint with a conference
>> [09:35am] jkomoros: … or even emphasize conferences that are aligned 
>> with WPD, or that give a free ticket to a WPD memeber.
>> [09:35am] jkomoros: eliot: Does anyone have a close contact at Event 
>> Apart?
>> [09:35am] jkomoros: shepazu: We've talked to some of these folks, 
>> they're enthusiastic
>> [09:35am] Salt joined the chat room.
>> [09:35am] jkomoros: ACTION: shepazu to approach Event Apart/John 
>> Alsup folks about doing a WPD docsprint
>> [09:37am] desbenoit joined the chat room.
>> [09:38am] jkomoros: ACTION: Alex to send out a doodle poll about a 
>> template-guru seminar
>> [09:39am] jkomoros: shepazu: Ryan suggested maybe Lua to look into
>> [09:39am] jkomoros: Topic: Tracking actions
>> [09:39am] jkomoros: Garbee: There have been a lot of complaints about 
>> bug tracker being on separate domain and need a new account
>> [09:40am] jkomoros: … so we should ideally bring on the same domain 
>> and ideally one with open ID/SSO with main site
>> [09:40am] jkomoros: … bug genie has the ability to track just about 
>> anything we want to do with the project.
>> [09:40am] shepazu: q+
>> [09:42am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Want to make sure we're addressing all 
>> use cases (e.g. savvy admin changes down to drive-by questions)
>> [09:42am] shaundunne joined the chat room.
>> [09:42am] jkomoros: Garbee: Ideally we'd have a comment system that's 
>> plugged into bug system and automatically files a bug
>> [09:42am] shaundunne left the chat room.
>> [09:43am] jkomoros: scottrowe: Does that mean the comments from the 
>> wiki could be funneled into buggenie
>> [09:43am] jkomoros: Garbee: Ideally, that's what I'd like. Since 
>> BugGenie allows different fields.
>> [09:43am] jkomoros: shepazu: Does BugGenie have a write API.
>> [09:44am] jkomoros: Garbee: Not sure. I'll look into this if we'd 
>> need to do custom work
>> [09:44am] fr0zenice: ref: 
>> http://issues.thebuggenie.com/wiki/Category%3ATheBugGenie%3ADevelopment
>> [09:44am] jkomoros: jkomoros: This will require a technical expert to 
>> be looped in, ideally Ryan
>> [09:44am] jkomoros: shepazu: I agree mostly with what's been said.
>> [09:45am] jkomoros: we do want to have people create accounts and 
>> join the community. I do want to lower the barrier for bugs.
>> [09:45am] jkomoros: … the idea of having it somehow tie into comment 
>> extension interests me.
>> [09:46am] jkomoros: shepazu: I think Ryan is supposed to be back not 
>> next Tuesday but the one after that
>> [09:47am] jkomoros: ACTION: Garbee to flesh out the todo proposal, 
>> including wireframes, open questions, etc.
>> [09:47am] jkomoros: scottrowe: I've noticed that sometimes I need to 
>> save on the wiki twice.
>> [09:47am] Garbee: You may need to refresh the page by dropping the 
>> cache.
>> [09:47am] Garbee: Edit tab > Refresh
>> [09:49am] jkomoros: jkomoros: I noticed an out-of-order problem in 
>> the history this weekend
>> [09:49am] Garbee: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19390
>> [09:49am] jkomoros: Garbee: For session information, it's going to 
>> require at least a mediawiki engine update.
>> [09:49am] shepazu: Garbee++
>> [09:50am] Garbee: I had to combine like 4 bugs into that one session 
>> bug.
>> [09:50am] Garbee: They were just annoying to see everywhere.
>> [09:50am] jkomoros: jkomoros: Is there  way to make progress on 
>> hosting the wiki on github?
>> [09:50am] jkomoros: shepazu: We could host skin on github in the 
>> short term.
>> [09:50am] jkomoros: … this project is three or four different open 
>> source projects, which all have their own contribution paths
>> [09:50am] jkomoros: … but there are a few things that we could put on 
>> GitHub this week.
>> [09:51am] jkomoros: … I noticed there was a web platform on github. 
>> Do we know who that is?
>> [09:51am] jkomoros: ACTION: Doug to make progress towards hosting 
>> skin on GitHub
>> [09:51am] jkomoros: … we also want to host our extensions in a place 
>> where people can contribute to them.
>> [09:52am] jkomoros: … and just to clarify, we're TOTALLY open to this
>> [09:52am] jkomoros: shepazu: One last thing
>> [09:52am] jkomoros: … some people had asked about changing the title 
>> for the pages in the wiki for SEO
>> [09:53am] jkomoros: … I made an extension that does this, and it's 
>> ready to deploy when it will be least disruptive.
>> [09:53am] jkomoros: … What I'm proposing as the title content is 
>> basically "<page title> : <topic-title> : WPD"
>> [09:53am] jkomoros: "font-size : CSS : WPD"
>> [09:54am] jkomoros: benoit: There won't be Web Platform in the title
>> [09:54am] leaverou: q+
>> [09:55am] jkomoros: ACTION: Shepazu to post a proposal to the list 
>> about the different options for title
>> [09:55am] leaverou: q-
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Julee Burdekin <jburdeki@adobe.com 
>> <mailto:jburdeki@adobe.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi: I added an agenda item:
>>
>>     Content architecture meeting(s)?
>>
>>
>>
>>             J
>>             ----------------------------
>>
>>
>>         julee@adobe.com <mailto:julee@adobe.com>
>>
>>
>>         @adobejulee
>>
>>
>>
>>     From: Alex Komoroske <komoroske@google.com 
>> <mailto:komoroske@google.com>>
>>     Date: Monday, November 5, 2012 9:44 AM
>>     To: "public-webplatform@w3.org 
>> <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>" <public-webplatform@w3.org 
>> <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
>>     Subject: Public TelCon Tomorrow, November 6th at standard time
>>     Resent-From: <public-webplatform@w3.org 
>> <mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
>>     Resent-Date: Monday, November 5, 2012 9:45 AM
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I'll be chairing the 
>> weekly telcon tomorrow (11/6) at 16:00 UTC / 12:00 ET / 9:00 PT. You 
>> can find tactical details about the meeting
>>     at http://docs.webplatform.org/__wiki/WPD:Meetings 
>> <http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Meetings>
>>
>>     Agenda:
>>     * Welcome
>>     * Review of last week's action items
>>     * Triage of new bugs
>>     * Discussion topics (we'll see how many we have time for):
>>        * Docsprint debrief
>>        * Translations (hopefully with the right people in the call 
>> this time)
>>        * Tracking bugs/actions with BugGenie
>>        * A seminar about how we've wired up our intricate template 
>> system
>>
>>
>>     Please feel free to suggest more agenda topics that you'd like to 
>> discuss.
>>
>>     As a reminder, these meetings are open to anyone, although we 
>> especially value the participation of active community members.
>>
>>     --Alex
>>
>>
>
Received on Tuesday, 6 November 2012 20:13:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:57:35 UTC