RE: Open Font License FAQ updated!

Subsetting is something that usually happens prior to a font being packaged as EOT. The same is true for WOFF, so I would consider this to be completely out of scope for both WOFF and EOT. I agree with Sylvain that there is nothing in the OpenType to EOT conversion process that alters the font (neither outlines nor hints not anything else) - the results of using the fonts extracted from EOT are identical to using the original file.

The only caveat is that 'glyf' table in fonts compressed with MTX do not always round-trip to be binary identical because MTX compression/decompression procedure optimizes font hinting whenever possible, achieving better compression efficiency (e.g. it replaces sets of individual PUSH instructions with NPUSHB or NPUSHW where applicable, etc.). This would be conceptually similar e.g. to how a "C" compiler works - the same source code compiled with different optimization level settings would generate different binary executables that produce identical results.

Any other font data tables, including metadata contained in the 'name' table, remain intact and completely unaffected - the MTX compression is truly lossless. In essence, since the glyph design, the rendering behavior and the results of executing hint instructions would be identical for both the original TTF/OTF and the font converted from EOT format - I would agree with Sylvain that claims of EOT conversion resulting in font alterations are completely unfounded, IMHO. And when it comes to EOT-Lite/CWT - the new language of OFL FAQ claiming font alterations is plain wrong! Font data is not even touched in those cases, adding the EOT header is the only step performed in the process of conversion to EOT (e.g. as implemented by http://code.google.com/p/ttf2eot/).

Regards,
Vlad