Re: Open Font License FAQ updated!

On Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 11:23:36 PM, Christopher wrote:

CS> Well, isn't it true that most real-world cases of EOT (i.e.
CS> WEFT-produced) result in some subsetting? Seems to me that EOT can
CS> be lossless, but often isn't -- whereas WOFF is necessarily lossless.

And this confusion between what a given tool does and what a spec says, is why I really want the WOFF spec to describe a processing model where any subsetting, name table rewriting, excess padding removal, checksum recomputation is seen as a preprocessing step.

The result of that step is the 'origin' font. Converting that to WOFF and decoding back yields a 'result' font which is bit for bit identical to the 'origin' font, and this is the definition of the 'losslessness' of WOFF.

There may be a postprocessing step as well (like the sanitization that the Chrome browser performs).

(I have no particular attachment to the names I used here, they could easily be changed to better ones).

A diagram would be handy here also.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG