Re: [Touch events] identifiedTouch (was: createTouchList should probably take a sequence, not an IDL array)

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 08:31:17 -0500
To: ext Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>, Cathy.Chan@nokia.com
CC: public-webevents@w3.org
On 1/4/13 3:21 PM, ext Rick Byers wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM, <Cathy.Chan@nokia.com
> <mailto:Cathy.Chan@nokia.com>> wrote:
>
>     Along a somewhat similar vein (of v1 goal being documenting existing
>     implementations), how do we plan to resolve the issue with
>     TouchList.identifiedTouch()? As a reminder, the identifiedTouch()
>     method is
>     implemented in Firefox and Opera but not in WebKit. Should we, for
>     example,
>     consider making the method optional?
>

> Also as another reminder: I agreed to implement this is WebKit, but we
> realized this would have no effect on iOS (since their touch support
> is in a private fork, as far as I can tell) so it's not sufficient to
> satisfy our goal of the spec defining interoperability.  Perhaps we
> should just remove it from v1 (and leave it in TEv2) if we're changing
> the spec anyway?

Making features "optional" creates other problems (e.g. interop). As
such, I tend to agree with Rick that removing identifiedTouch() from v1
is a reasonable solution. However, I would like to hear from others, at
least:

* Gecko/Mozilla; Matt, Olli,  Boris?

* Opera: Sangwhan?

(What we spec or don't spec re identifiedTouch for v2 is a separate
question  ...)

-Thanks, AB