Re: Licensing: feedback wanted

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:18:30 -0500
Cc: public-webed@w3.org
To: Chris Mills <cmills@opera.com>

Le 30 nov. 2011 à 07:36, Chris Mills a écrit :
> shall we go with by-sa. or just by? I think by-sa is best, as I worry what would happen to our material if we didn't include SA. We want the material and any evolution of it to be open, surely?

Short version: BY

Long version:

In the past I was recommending CC-BY-SA-NC. I changed my mind following a talk at a CreativeCommons Salon in Montreal, last year. Global Voices Online [1] is a project which is aggregating and translating into different languages the content of bloggers through the world. It helps raise awareness about local citizen issues. The project wanted that the news to be widespread and distributed in main media outlets (Reuters, AFP, etc.) so people have a view which is closer to what people live on not only an official media view. Their license being restrictive, lawyers in the different media companies were not accepting to broadcast the Global Voices articles. Global Voices switched to a CC-BY license and now articles are featured in the traditional press.

We have a very similar case here. We want the content to be widespread by people and reused be it in a commercial context and/or an open context. As long as the source stays open, people have always the possibility to use it. It's why I'm in favor of CC-BY

[1]: http://globalvoicesonline.org/

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/